- [[ZK - 3d4a - Federated social media needs to be in constant evolution]]
- [[ZK - 3d4b - In the fediverse, users should have control of their data as much as possible]]
- [[ZK - 3d4c - The fundamental tension of social media is between privacy and public presence]]
- [[ZK - 3d4d - Federated social media expands the landscape to instance owners and developers]]
What is virality? Different schools of thought around virality in the fediverse.
- [Mastodon 🐘](https://mstdn.social/@rysiek/109598221617781883)
Learning from the past means confronting what has happened and what will be coming. pretending mastodon is safe by freezing it in time is reactionary.
A big tenor is ownership and contorl of your data. the power of social media is about disclosing that information, because it allows you to form new connection, but it is also where the danger lies. here my personal experience of fearing public recognition yet also wanting to establish a presence is relevant.
There's the underlying level of building tools and libraries and scraping tools and data management tools. What are the ethical implications of this? What do you do if harmful agents use the technology you built? How do you test-drive this technology before releasing it into the wild?
What are some possible licenses here? How can we give individual users control of what happens to their data?
## Potential literature
An overview of scholarly takes on [[Social Media]]:
- [Social Networking and Ethics (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)](https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-social-networking/)
No idea which one of these is good:
- [Media Studies 101 – The Open Textbook Project provides flexible and affordable access to higher education resources](https://opentextbc.ca/mediastudies101/)
- [Social Media: Enduring Principles: 9780199328437: Communication Books @ Amazon.com](https://www.amazon.com/Social-Media-Principles-Ashlee-Humphreys/dp/0199328439/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_1/138-3019009-2212832?pd_rd_w=BC82K&content-id=amzn1.sym.7f0cf323-50c6-49e3-b3f9-63546bb79c92&pf_rd_p=7f0cf323-50c6-49e3-b3f9-63546bb79c92&pf_rd_r=7CY6V2T500EAXMG5S8KG&pd_rd_wg=XHqM4&pd_rd_r=1462c018-5932-4685-8acf-d0c3644ba08b&pd_rd_i=0199328439&psc=1)
This one seems genuinely good, but I can't find a copy and it's quite expensive on kindle.
- [Social Media Freaks: Digital Identity in the Network Society: Kidd, Dustin: 9780813350660: Amazon.com: Books](https://www.amazon.com/dp/0813350662/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0)
- [Social Media: A Critical Introduction: Fuchs, Christian: 9781529752748: Amazon.com: Books](https://www.amazon.com/Social-Media-Introduction-Christian-Fuchs/dp/1529752744/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_2_1/138-3019009-2212832?pd_rd_w=uyOOh&content-id=amzn1.sym.85e69568-3310-47fa-b7d9-805300e523f6&pf_rd_p=85e69568-3310-47fa-b7d9-805300e523f6&pf_rd_r=W429TXXWT5TBA0K61Y72&pd_rd_wg=9LZff&pd_rd_r=09d9543e-919a-48db-b98b-325521e3646f&pd_rd_i=1529752744&psc=1)
- [Understanding Social Media: 9781526425966: Media Studies Books @ Amazon.com](https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Social-Media/dp/1526425963/ref=d_pd_sim_sccl_3_3/138-3019009-2212832?pd_rd_w=kXTc2&content-id=amzn1.sym.9125e5ab-ea95-44ef-9958-112d5f0f26f0&pf_rd_p=9125e5ab-ea95-44ef-9958-112d5f0f26f0&pf_rd_r=W429TXXWT5TBA0K61Y72&pd_rd_wg=9LZff&pd_rd_r=09d9543e-919a-48db-b98b-325521e3646f&pd_rd_i=1526425963&psc=1)
Is literature about [[Semiotics]] relevant?
- [Amazon.com: Semiotics: The Basics: 9781138232938: Chandler, Daniel: Books](https://www.amazon.com/Semiotics-Basics-Daniel-Chandler/dp/1138232939/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_2_3/138-3019009-2212832?pd_rd_w=PMFK2&content-id=amzn1.sym.85e69568-3310-47fa-b7d9-805300e523f6&pf_rd_p=85e69568-3310-47fa-b7d9-805300e523f6&pf_rd_r=JY8KFYGDG71T0NZN2GBH&pd_rd_wg=lYao2&pd_rd_r=ec6f794f-3023-46ae-af01-3fb020ffce2e&pd_rd_i=1138232939&psc=1)
What about [[BOOK - The Society of the Spectacle - Guy Debord]]? Does it even apply that much, or is it even useful in the more practical context that I want to develop?
- [Theories of Social Media: Philosophical Foundations - ScienceDirect](https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095809917307993)
- [Fetching Title#1z1l](https://todon.nl/@joenepraat/103476105410045435)
- [Mastodon scraping incident](https://www.loomio.com/d/qbZTgtjs/mastodon-scraping-incident)
- [[RWISE - Open Letter From the Mastodon Community]]
- social.coop voting process:
More scraping context:
- [derek powazek on technorati tagging](https://xoxo.zone/@fraying/109592997166940512)
- [asking about search](https://mastodon.adida.net/@ben/109605040983358553)
- [Site Unreachable](https://bsd.network/@pamela/109287805657081451)