# Fennel Lisp
> [!quote] Fennel is a programming language that brings together the speed, simplicity, and reach of [Lua](https://www.lua.org/)with the flexibility of a [lisp syntax and macro system.](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(programming_language))
> Homepage: [the Fennel programming language](https://fennel-lang.org)
For example, it is running on [[Microcontroller]] and using a real lisp for [[Embedded]] is something super exciting:
- [GitHub - whitecatboard/Lua-RTOS-ESP32: Lua RTOS for ESP32](https://github.com/whitecatboard/Lua-RTOS-ESP32/)
## Selling points
- **Full Lua compatibility:** Easily call any Lua function or library from Fennel and vice-versa.
- **Zero overhead:** Compiled code should be just as efficient as hand-written Lua.
- **Compile-time [[Macros (Programming)|macros]]:** Ship compiled code with no runtime dependency on Fennel.
- **Embeddable:** Fennel is a one-file library as well as an executable. Embed it in other programs to support runtime extensibility and interactive development.
Using [[Fennel Lisp|Fennel]] to do [[HTML]] [[Frontend]] development in a [[Lisp Languages|Lisp]], running on [[OpenResty]], which is a [[nginx]] and [[LuaJit]] platform for [[Web Development]]:
- [FHP - Fennel Hypertext Processor](https://github.com/MattRoelle/fhp)